What is new
Index of names
(3760 - 2080 BCE)
(2080 - 1240 BCE)
(1240 - 400 BCE)
(400 BCE - 440 CE)
(440 - 1280 CE)
(1280 - 2120 CE)
QUICK LINKS IN THIS PAGE
The sons of Noah
The sons of Yafeth
Gog and Magog
The sons of Cham
The sons of Shem
Hebrew years 1680 to 1800 (2080-1960 BCE)
The sons of Noah
Cham took responsibility for the curse upon his son Canaan. In their History, his descendants will be subjected to slavery as it was stated: a slave of slaves shall he be to his brothers.
Yafeth was the ancestor of the European people: they will be the ones who greatly contributed to the progress of humanity. Their faith, Christianity for most of them, will take its root from the Jewish religion, in other words, Yafeth will dwell in the tents of Shem. But overall, Yafeth descendants will represent a smaller portion of the global population of the world, as they count today for about one billion people (Europe and North America). The sentence Yafeth will dwell in the tents of Shem also refers to Gog and Magog. In Israel, the old city of Jaffa (pronounced Yafo) is said to have been founded by Yafeth after the Flood: from there his descendants would have built boats and ventured to the expanse of the sea to populate the Greek islands.Shem gave birth to the people who populated Asia and maybe also the Americas, as Native Americans, unless these people were descendants of Cain and survived the Flood by seeking refuge in the highest mountains of Asia and America. Or they may survived the Flood thanks to skills of navigation on rafts or boats: they would have sought refuge in them when water levels started to rise. This is because God eradicated all living creatures on earth and in the sky, but He did not destroy life in and on the seas.
The sons of Yafeth- Gomer: a people associated as the Cimmerians, known as Gimirri from the Assyrian annals; they lived as nomads between the southern part of the Black Sea and Iran, and probably gave root to some of the Indo-European people
- Magog: known as Mat Gugu by the Assyrians; the 1st Century Jewish historian Josephus considered they were the people who lived north from the Black Sea; they may have given root later to the Hungarian people and some of the Central European people; essentially Magog gave birth to some of the Goths people who will invade Europe and destroy the Roman Empire; they represented the Western civilization who will be involved in the difficult times preceding the venue of the Messiah
- Madai: this name is associated with the people who lived in Media (the Medes); Madai was allowed to dwell among Shem descendants because he had married a daughter of Shem (by being the sister of Arpachshad)
And Japheth and his sons went towards the sea and dwelt in the land of their portion, and Madai saw the land of the sea and it did not please him, and he begged a (portion) from Cham and Asshur and Arpachshad, his wife's brother, and he dwelt in the land of Media, near to his wife's brother until this day. And he called his dwelling-place, and the dwelling-place of his sons, Media, after the name of their father Madai. --- Book of Jubilees 10:35-36
- Yavan: he was the ancestor of the Greek people, and generally those who lived in the Greek islands and in the shores of the Aegean Sea (incl. cities on the side of Asia Minor); the early civilisations of the Greek world were the Minoans (Crete island) and later the Mycenaeans (Mycenes, inland Greece); it is after the Flood that mankind started the domisticate the seas... surely by anticipation of another divine punishment, or by following the example of the Ark which floated on the seas for many months
- Tubal: he could be the ancestor of some of the Mediterranean people, or related to the region of Bithynia in Asia Minor
- Meshech: ancestor of the Georgians and Russians
- Tiras: ancestor of the Etruscan people or of the Thracian people
Gog and MagogMeshech and Tubal, sons of Yafeth, are associated to what is known as "Gog and Magog". Gog is a made-up name given as the chief prince of Meshech and Tubal (Ezekiel 38:2), which means their association. And Gog is also described of the land of Magog (Ezekiel 38:14). What was the sin of Gog and Magog? Meshech and Tubal, together with Yavan, enslaved other people:
Yavan, Tubal, and Meshech, they were thy traffickers; they traded the persons of men and vessels of brass for thy merchandise --- Ezekiel 27:13 The full understanding of Gog and Magog will become clear in the Messianic times.
The sons of Cham- Cush: ancestor of people around the African horn as well as Kish in Mesopotamia
- Mizrayim: ancestor of the people who re-populated Ancient Egypt after the Flood; the previous dynasties of Egypt formed what was called the Old Kingdom; but although this kingdom was prosperous and mighty, and during which the great pyramids were built, it came to an end before 2000 BCE caused by climate changes; then came what was called the First Intermediate Period of Ancient Egypt, which is described by historians as the "dark period"; this period probably corresponded to the return of people into the Nile valley after the Flood, and it took about 100 years before Egypt would witness another period of prosperity with the so-called Middle Kingdom; Egypt at this time was named "km.t" in hieroglyphic language which is translated as black land. Archaeologists believe they named it as such because of the nature of the Nile flood sediments that turn the land into a cultivable region and the soil to be of dark (black?) colour. However there may be another explanation. The "km" in the name "km.t" is identical to Hebrew חָם, pronounced Cham ("km" could also have been pronounced "kam, as voyels were not counted in these early languages). So "kam.t" would have simply meant the land of Cham, as Cham was the son of Noah who settled south from his brothers, went down to the African continent and gave giving birth to the Egyptian and African people.
- Puth: he is associated with the Land of Punt which is an unknown place probably located south from Ancient Egypt, in Nubia
- Canaan: the son of Cham who caused the curse on his father and his descendants; he established himself in the land of the future Israel, but his descendants also populated this entire Levant region, at the crossing routes between Africa, Asia and Europe; the Talmud states the following about Canaan, who diverted from the Noachite laws:
Five things did Canaan charge his sons: Love one another, love robbery, love lewdness, hate your masters and do not speak the truth. --- Talmud, Pesachim, 113b
In the land that Canaan chose, they also started to build harbour cities, like the sons of Japeth did in Crete, rather than confining themselves to land. So they built early city ports along the shores such as Gaza, Ashkelon, Ashdod, Arsuf, Dor, and so on.
The sons of Shem
Concerning Shem, the Biblical text states:He was the ancestor of the people of Heber. --- Genesis 10:21
Heber will be the ancestor of the Hebrew people. But his Hebrew name also means "to cross over" or "the past". So the text can also be read as saying Shem was the ancestor of those who went to the past, meaning back to the original location of the older kingdoms of Mesopotamia.
The sons of Shem were:
- Elam: he was the ancestor of the Elamites, in northern Iran- Ashur: he settled in the northern part of Mesopotamia and was the ancestor of the Assyrians
- Arpachshad: he settled in the southern part of Mesopotamia, founded the city of Ur, and was the ancestor of the Hebrews
- Lud: he was the ancestor of the Anatolian people
- Aram: he was the ancestor of the Arameans; his name is mentioned as "Arame" in the inscriptions of Naram-Sin of Akkad dated 2300 BCE
In the following map of the early settlements of the sons and grandsons of Noah, and despite some possible mistakes, Yafeth is in red, Cham in blue, and Shem in green